Have you ever started a workout only to realise that you want to push yourself further but your body just won’t let you?
Or how about post work out where you decide to push on until your next meal, leaving you feeling weak, faint, shakey and downright awful?
There could be a number of factors that stop you from fuelling your body properly before and after exercise, some of the most common are;
1. You’re in a rush- its 7am and you have a one hour window to go from bed, to gym, to work- eating a proper meal just seems like an unrealistic part of this routine
2. You find that the meals you typically eat before or after a workout don’t leave you feeling so great, so you choose to avoid eating completely
3. You’re just not hungry- exercise can suppress ghrelin, a hormone that increases appetite. This usually lasts for 60minutes post work out, which is also the most important time to refuel your body, resulting in a disconnect between what your body is telling you, and what it really needs!
Some general guidelines to help you achieve the right balance:
1. Generally try to eat 3-4 hours before your work out, and avoid eating an hour before you exercise
2. Eat a mixture of carbohydrates for energy and protein for muscle repair
3. Drink water to hydrate yourself 2 hours before your workout to avoid experiencing stomach pain during exercise
Eat a meal balanced in carbohydrates and protein, once again to restore glycogen lost during exercise and to encourage muscle growth and repair!
Pucka contains the perfect balance of carbs and proteins whilst staying low in fat and processed sugars, so we recommend you keep some in the fridge to fuel up without the hassle!
Stay healthy and well fuelled